Saturday, August 17, 2013

8/2/13 Being Present

No expectations; being present; simple but not easy. To be still water in a world of noise and movement; to seek the spaces in between action; to be open to another voice besides the one in my waking mind, simple but not easy. There are many techniques for meditation, it doesn’t seem to matter which one I use, so far meditation is the best way to be in the present moment. As I sit emptying my mind of prerecorded thoughts, of exterior influences like clothes; discomfort, noisy appliances, neighbors, birdsong, traffic, a golden calm settles over me. The longer I can maintain my presence in the moment the calmer I get. This sense of peace promotes joy as I go through my day. Joy, a state of being that is new to me. Joy must be the absence of worry, guilt, and shame, things that belong in the past or future. Not only am I more joyful, I’m healthier in my body. Taking those few minutes to center myself and calm my mind make such a profound difference in my day. I wonder why I don’t do it every single day, but it’s a fairly new feeling, joy. More familiar are regret and worry, so it’s no wonder that I slip so easily into these thoughts and forget the more beneficial possibilities, possibilities that require such a small amount of time and effort. Simple but not easy, change requires action. Action brings results. Progress not perfection, it’s the way of the human!

No comments:

Post a Comment